Saturday, August 27, 2011

Monthly Shopping

I know this isn't strictly home ed related, but what the heck. Aaron's company just switched his pay from weekly to monthly. It's a difficult transition, but I'm glad in the long run. All the bills go out on payday and what's left is left! Coincidentally, this happened last week:



And it was met with much rejoicing.

Most of you probably know, I'm an ex-expat. I lived in the States for a total of about 7 years. My husband is from St. Louis, and Cora and Calvin were born there. We were always Costco members and loved it. So I had been meaning to get membership at Costco here for a long time, but never got around to it. It's quite a drive from our house, close to an hour, but oh so worth it. When you walk in, it's exactly the same as an American Costco. It's amazing! And sells so much American stuff, even produce! And the best bit? This:




Yep, that's right, American hot dogs. British ones don't even come close. And they're only £1.50 with a refillable soda. Yum!

And just because she's cute and there's no other pics, here's Maia:





So now that we have the Costco card, and Aaron is getting paid monthly, I had a brainwave. Why not do a monthly grocery shop? We have a freezer in the garage sitting mostly unused. Why not stock up on everything, freeze the meat in individual portions, et cetera et cetera? Sounds like a plan. So I made a menu plan for the month, and tediously made a monthly shopping list. Even more tediously, I entered all the groceries into www.mysupermarket.com so I could print out the list with prices from Tesco.com - that's where we would normally do our shop - and see if we're really getting a good deal on stuff.

I've discovered Addicted to Costco which is an amazing blog, and should come in very handy. If we decide this plan of monthly shopping works, then we'll switch to Executive membership so we can get the cashback. I'll update with how it goes, we should be doing our first monthly shop on Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. We had to make that change in 2009 when The Daddy One moved from contracting to staff.. but I have gone total opposite on shopping and do three small deliveries each week !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I aim to spend about £80/week on groceries so I don't think I could do 3 small deliveries.

    ReplyDelete